!Header Logo

Dakota Hills Veterinary Clinic

!Give us a call button

!Social Media Icons

!Call Icon

Is It Safe To Feed Your Pet Grapes or Raisins?

August 15, 2021

Have you ever wondered if you can feed your dog or cat a grape or raisin? Well, it turns out that you can’t. Grapes and raisins can actually be poisonous to our animal buddies. These delicious fruits can be toxic and even cause death in the most serious cases. In this article, a local veterinarian discusses grape and raisin poisoning in pets. 


Why are grapes and raisins toxic?

It’s surprising to learn that it isn’t known exactly why grapes and raisins are poisonous to dogs and cats. Some think that a fungal byproduct, called mycotoxin, is to blame. Others believe that pesticides sprayed on the fruit might be responsible. To make matters even more confusing, some pets can eat the fruit without suffering any sickness. But whatever the cause, it’s just too risky to feed grapes and raisins to your pet.


What are the symptoms of poisoning? 

Signs of grape or raisin poisoning usually manifest within a few hours after your pet has eaten the fruit. Clinical symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and increased thirst. Without treatment, renal failure, also known as kidney failure, can happen. That’s why it’s critical that you keep your vet’s phone number on hand in case of an emergency. Take your furry friend to the veterinarian’s office immediately if you know or suspect that they’ve eaten grapes or raisins. 


What’s the treatment? 

The goal of treatment is to eliminate the toxin in your pet’s body as quickly as possible. This can be done by inducing vomiting, or using activated charcoal to absorb the leftover toxin in your pet’s stomach. Pets that have advanced to kidney failure may need intravenous fluid therapy or even blood transfusions in the most extreme cases. 



How do I prevent grape and raisin poisoning? 

You want to stop grape or raisin poisoning before it happens. Fortunately, that’s as simple as restricting your pet’s access to these fruits at all times. Put them in the refrigerator, or closed cabinets or containers, and out of your pet’s reach. Also, be careful of foods that contain grapes or raisins, like salads or desserts.


Do you want more advice on foods that your pet shouldn’t eat? Contact your local pet clinic for more information!


!Single Blog Social Sharing Icons

  • All
  • Cat Care
  • Dog Care
  • General Care
  • Uncategorized

Tips on Keeping Your Dog Safe During Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is a time for families to come together and eat lots of food, but…
Read More

National Pet Cancer Awareness Month

November is National Pet Cancer Awareness Month, and you guessed it -just like humans, pets…
Read More
1 2 3 59